Top 5 Cities to Visit that are Reachable by car from Barcelona
Driving through Barcelona in your own car is a pleasurable way to see the city and the surrounding places because most of them are easily accessible by car. If you like to travel in style check out luxury car rental agencies online that operate in Barcelona like PrimeRent for example, so you can reach all the locations in the most stylish, luxurious and fastest way possible. Some of the favourite destinations just outside of Barcelona are the following:
- The Penedes Wine Region – This is a must-see place if you are into wines as it is the leading wine producer of the country. You will want to visit where the Cava is made which is the Catalan version of the French Champagne. You will also love to explore the vineyards that produce popular red and white wines. Sampling of the wines is possible. Great food also accompanies them.
- Sitges – Considered one of Costa Brava’s most scenic beach towns, this sleepy town of white-washed streets decorated with colourful kitsch ceramics and flowering plants on balconies, is a location for some of Spain’s most active party scenes. You will enjoy the various beaches, of which some are even nudists. It offers services that cater for families, individuals, couples as well as the gay crowd.
- Tarragona – If you are fascinated by Roman ruins, you ought to visit this place. An amazing amphitheatre from two thousand years ago still stands today. From the site, you can admire the Mediterranean Sea. There are also other architectural sites worth visiting such as an old Gothic cathedral.
- Girona – lying on the banks of the River Ter, it is approximately 90 kilometers away from Barcelona. In the medieval times, it used to be a seat for intellectual activities. Remnants of the history of the Jewish people who used to live there can still be seen such as the Bonastruc Jewish Centre. It is worth visiting the cathedral museum and the medieval tapestry. It would be worthwhile to visit during the major flower festival, the Girona, temps de flors.
- Montserrat – If you are a nature-lover, you will appreciate the beauty of this place. It is considered as the Catalan sacred mountain where the shrine of the Virgin of Montserrat and the Monserrat Monastery are located. The mountain has a very striking formation which has inspired great artists such as Gaudí and Dalí. Religious pilgrims also flock to this place.
Images credit (under CCL) by order: